Thursday, August 12, 2004

Two blonde moments in one night? Oy! (or "Caught in the Hamster Wheel")

Which may compound itself into a third moment...since I can't remember the first moment! *shakes head* Really, I'm usually not this scatterbrained.

But the moment that I just came across. Cleaning out the walk-in closet in our bedroom. This task has been needed to be done for a long time. I clear off enough stuff to actually be able to see the floor, and I find a pair of Eddie Bauer denim shorts still in the packaging from ordering on-line. *looks down at her tattered denim shorts she's wearing* Doh. But wait, it gets better. I received a $25 gift certificate from work to Eddie Bauer. Guess what I used it on and is on its way right now to my mail box? Yep, pair of denim shorts. And it's not really that I can return the one I recently bought. Ya see, I lost some weight between the two orderings, which is about two years. The older pair are a size too big. And now, I think I can only get store credit for the shorts I'm going to return. Oh well, it isn't that bad.

Speaking of work...eep. Right now, I'm working for a temp agency, which started right before Thanksgiving last year. The place they placed me at is great. I love my supervisor, who has to be one of the most cheerful, patient people in the world. And it's not that annoying cheerful. The work is interesting...working with duplicate medical records and making sure there's only one enrollee in the system per patient. And, I don't have to answer phones. Super mega bonus points for that. We were originally told that the job would probably last to the end of January of this year. Annnnddd....I'm still there on August 12th! It appears that the mess was bigger than anyone anticipated with getting rid of a bunch of duplicate records. Then, throw in mixed records, and the ongoing problem of duplicate records being created....oy. (You'll find that I like to use this word) Oh wait, it gets better. Middle of June, and our supervisor pulls us three temps into one of the conference rooms. Says that by the end of the week...this is on a Wednesday...she can only keep one temp. Making the decision on work output, and how much each person knew what to do, she decided to keep me. I'm quite flattered by this, but also relieved that I don't have to go to a new place. So, Friday's the last day for the other two temps. 8:45 am rolls around, and all of the sudden, they're needed to stay on. Huh? It seems that the health system where I'm working was going to implement some new software come July 11th. They needed every single mixed record in the system to be fixed. And, at the time, I was the only one out of the three temps who really knew how to fix mixed records. So, crash course on that with the other two temps. Make a long story short...I worked 85 hours the week before the July 4th weekend...didn't even have a weekend! Came in every single day and worked from 8 - 14 hours to get the system cleaned up. Finished...finally. Told that we couldn't do any duplicate record merging for a week after the software was implemented. That's cool, we'll just write/type what needs to be done, do it the next week. Well, it's been five weeks, and we still can't merge duplicate records. The stack of work piling up is just getting bigger and bigger every day. As my supervisor put it, when talking about the new software "Things that we didn't anticipate to be a problem at all are a problem." Greeeaaaattt. It is quite frustrating sitting at work, having a pile of stuff that needs to be done, but not being able to do any of it.

There's a "Part Deux" to this whole mess of work, but this entry is way too long as it is. The next entry will have to wait till Monday, though. Busy weekend with helping out with some friends' wedding. Yay! Is it bad that I was having wedding dreams/nightmares on Tuesday and it isn't even my wedding? Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home